The Sitara uses a field of pull-up and pull-down resistors to tell it how
to boot.
If you put any LOAD on these pins, and your I/O does NOT have to be
powered, (which would make
things even worse), you will give it the wrong boot commands, and the BBB
won't boot.

Go read the section in the System Reference Manual on Boot Configuration,
and
the section on Pin Usage Considerations.

--- Graham

==