@John D

Which kernel version are you running on the black ? kernel version 3.14.x
is supposed to bring some USB, and ethernet improvements over kernel
version 3.8.x. However, I'm not sure what exactly these improvement are.
Anyhow, it was a thought while reading your post. I do know that early on
with kernel 3.8.x if you tried to hotplug ethernet or USB, you'd get a
kernel panic. Symptoms similar to what you're explaining here, You'd try to
hotplug, everything would work fine for around a minute, then the board /
system would just freeze.

Another thought that I had was that you may be powering over USB only ?
Perhaps you are not getting enough power.

You can always try:

*$ sudo dmesg | less*

OR

*$ tail /var/log/messages*

To see what may be happening. If that does not work, then maybe you can use
*strace* to debug candump.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-strace-command-examples.html