My apologies. I had an out-of-date SRM (A4) I have what I think is the
newest SRM (C1), and I do see that it has the table of addresses/lengths
that I was missing. I'm talking about the EEPROM onboard the BBB, not the
cape's EEPROMs.

I didn't expect that anyone is enforcing valid EEPROM's as it is an open
design after all, but I just don't see any provision to avoid serial number
duplicates for those who wish to do so. Am I still missing something? I
don't see anywhere to encode the manufacturer's name in the EEPROM. Is
there some other way for manufacturer's to co-operatively assign unique
numbers?