Thanks Nikolaus, tonight I will give it a try.

But where do I place the echo? Without an echo to write some character
there is nothing to read.

for ((x=0;x<100;x++)); do
    echo -en '\xAA' > /dev/ttyO4
    read -n 1 -t 1 < /dev/ttyO4
done < /dev/ttyO4

Something like this? Just add the "< /dev/ttyO4" at the bottom to hold the
file descriptor open?