If anyone's interested, I have a semi-painful flow for dumping a
user-created image to SD under Debian running on a VirtualBox VM under Mac
OS X. The image was created using Robert's flow in Debian. I have been
quite happy with VirtualBox lately, far more than I can say for the crooks
(take your money, provide zero support) at Parallels.

Here are my notes from the last time:

1) follow the instructions at eewiki.net to build a new image in the
VirtualBox VM.

2) insert SD card into reader slot on MacBook Pro

3) shut down the Linux VM and VirtualBox

4) make sure the SD card adapter switch is in writable position. Insert
card into SD reader slot

5) open Disk Utility, and erase the card

6) unmount the UNTITLED partition

7) cd to your VM directory (typically "$HOME/VirtualBox VMs/<VM name>")

8) edit the .vbox file to remove the .vmdk entry.

9) sudo vi ~/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml; remove lines that reference
sd-card.vmdk

10) rm *.vmdk

11) run sudo chown <username> /dev/disk1*

12) run sudo chmod 777 /dev/disk1*

13) run sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename
./sd-card.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/disk<whatever number Disk Utility displayed as
your disk; typically 1 or 2)

14) run sudo chown <username> *

15) unmount the /dev/disk<1 or 2>s1 (UNTITLED) partition

16) In the VirtualBox control Panel, select Storage, right-click and Add
Hard Disk. Choose existing Disk. Choose sd-card.vmdk

17) in Disk Utility, unmount the UNTITLED partition again

18) Start up Linux VM

19) in  Debian, run lsblk to determine the new SD card partition (/dev/sdb1
usually)

20) sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb

21) follow instructions at
https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black#BeagleBoneBlack-SetupmicroSD/SDcard

to set up the card.

22) shut down the VM in Virtualbox

23) remove the SD card from the storage category in the VirtualBox control
panel

24) eject and remove the SD card

Good Luck - Mike