> *a) downloaded latest BBB image at: http://beagleboard.org/latest-images
> <http://beagleboard.org/latest-images>*

Which image ? The main link is for a 4GB sdcard image only. The smaller
print link under that links to the elinux page which in turn has links for
many different images including flasher images.

*c) downloaded and installed the Image Writer for Windows and it built the
> 16 GB SD micro flash  - I looked at the directory and it seems just fine
> with all the files having today's date*
> *d) unplugged BBB and inserted the SD*
> *e) Pressed and held the Reset button on the BBB while inserting the 5V 2A
> power cord - held button down 5 seconds and all 4 LEDs lit up*
> *f) LEDs flashing for about 1 minute then just LED 0 flashing the
> heartbeat for the next 5 hours - no 4 lit LEDs as the instructions promise.*

It sounds as though you have the wrong image for flashing. As mentioned
above. One thing to note however is that running from eMMC versus sdcard
wont be much of a performance difference. So, running from sdcard is not
necessarily a bad thing. Gives you an opportunity to test an image before
"committing" it to eMMC.