Just a quick update. On the latest Ubuntu 14.04 image (2015-05-08) the init
script loads g_ether
instead of g_multi as it detects only a single partition configuration.
However as udhcpd (aka busybox)
is not installed on the default image the host cannot DHCP the address of
the usb/ethernet interface
(you see the ethXX device but without an IPv4 address). Installing udhcpd
makes everything work - might
be worth adding to default image so works "out of the box" ?