Got a GigE desktop switch and connected directly (previously both the
Beaglebone and my workstation were connected through the corporate network)
and the problem goes away.

So it's not an issue with the BB code (thankfully), but any insights as to
what tweaks/settings I can point our network staff towards would be helpful.