root@beaglebone:/home/debian# *echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/export*
root@beaglebone:/home/debian# l*s /sys/class/gpio/*
export  gpio0  gpiochip0  gpiochip32  gpiochip64  gpiochip96  unexport
root@beaglebone:/home/debian# *echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/unexport*
root@beaglebone:/home/debian# *ls /sys/class/gpio/*
export  gpiochip0  gpiochip32  gpiochip64  gpiochip96  unexport

So . . .write only.Here is a decent read on the subject.
http://falsinsoft.blogspot.com/2012/11/access-gpio-from-linux-user-space.html