Take a look at the schematic. GPIO3_21 is connected to the output of a
clock generator. To use it you must disable the Oscillator.

*Oscillator can be disabled via SW*
*for power down modes or if*
*GPIO3_21 needs to be used*

My suggestion is to pick another pin to work with. Less headaches.

Gerald

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 8:47 PM, <jmschmit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I am pretty new to the BBB and I came across something pretty odd that I
> have been trying to figure out for a few hours now as I was creating a push
> button circuit:
>
> P9_25 is a GPIO pin.  I set it to input but noticed that it would not
> respond to my button.  After some digging I realized that the pin itself
> was acting funky, so I isolated it to run some tests with BB's Bonescript
> tutorial on GPIO digitalWrite().  I ran this code below (apologies for the
> sloppy picture) with the adjacent circuit configuration shown as well.
> Obviously, the LED should turn off, but it doesn't:
>

> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UVZwTNBSR00/VZ3RjMNpQiI/AAAAAAAAAGM/mjWtyKl5LTw/s1600/20150708_212210.jpg>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lmn1_9_NGTM/VZ3PwVv6MLI/AAAAAAAAAF4/-yVeDLNf7fY/s1600/20150708_212158.jpg>
>

> I then tried the same tests on other pins, such as P9_26, and it worked
> perfectly, so that's where I'm startled.
>

> I have two theories:
>

> 1)  I messed with P9_25 in the past, and it is reconfigured in a weird
> way; if someone has this hunch, could you please perhaps inform me how to
> reset the pin to its original glory?
>

> 2) The pin is busted.  Fingers crossed for #1.
>

> If anybody has run into something similar, or has any idea what I should
> do, please let me know!
>

> Thank you for you time.
>

> -Joe

Gerald