I absolutely agree with Graham's report. I also saw plenty of unexplainable
resets of the Beaglebone, same as Graham says when just having them on the
table, naked, no cape, just flashed with fresh image. My power supplies are
5V/2A from a german quality vendor and I'm using them in hundreds, the
power supply is not the reason. There is no information in journalctl -f,
no information on the RS232 console, the board just resets without any
indication.

I made a test with a bigger number of Beaglebone (white) and
Beaglebone-Black, and these are the results within 24h. All but two of them
are operating this release:
uname -a
Linux bb151f 4.1.0-rc8-bone9 #1 Wed Jun 17 00:05:43 UTC 2015 armv7l
GNU/Linux

These are my test results:
MACBBCommentNumber of Resets / uptime
00:18:31:e0:54:35Whitestable since power on (1day)
-bc:6a:29:cc:a5:aeWhitestable since power on (7 days)
-00:18:31:8b:59:4eWhitestable-
d4:94:a1:85:c2:3dWhitestable
running 4.1.1-bone9
-
78:a5:04:cd:cf:b3Blackstable-
78:a5:04:ce:13:21Blackstable since power on (12days)
-d0:5f:b8:d7:53:ecBlackunstablereboots every
4-6h6c:ec:eb:5d:26:09Blackunstable,
even with
4.2.0-rc1-bone13d0:39:72:45:1c:f1Blackinstable,
got 1x stuck in U-Boot
678:a5:04:ca:a9:4eBlack
378:a5:04:fe:f6:11Black
378:a5:04:cf:4f:8eBlack
678:a5:04:db:5d:63Black
354:4a:16:c5:ea:75Black
278:a5:04:cf:84:5aBlack
378:a5:04:fd:93:dcBlack
278:a5:04:fe:de:13Black
578:a5:04:cf:5a:40Black
478:a5:04:cf:6c:1fBlack
66c:ec:eb:a5:15:1fBlack
278:a5:04:cf:65:48Black
478:a5:04:ca:8f:34Black
3
I'm sampling uptime of all boards every 30min, and sometimes the simple
script that collects that data gets stuck, so the true number is definitly
higher.

All my Beaglebone (white) under test are rock-solid, and so are also two
BB-Black. Those two BB-Black are elder devices from the first BB-Black on
the market, while those that are unstable are mostly latest production from
Embest.

As Graham reports, all the boards are stable when running something before
4.x.x, in my case this is the very old 3.8 Angstrom:
# uname -a
Linux beaglebone 3.8.13 #1 SMP Tue Jul 30 11:56:13 CEST 2013 armv7l
GNU/Linux

# lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Angstrom
Release:        v2012.12
Codename:       Core edition

I am now changing my worst candidates back to
uname -a
Linux bb1cf1 3.19.3-bone4 #1 Fri Mar 27 16:05:22 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

Any comment or help would be greatly appreciated. If I can add some
testing, let me know.

--- Guenter (dl4mea)