I know it is a bit confusing. If you do, it will blow up the processor. It
is a function of the processor.

I suggest you read the datasheet on the processor as it relates to power
sequencing.

http://www.ti.com/product/AM3358/technicaldocuments

Until the 3.3V rail comes up, nothing on your board can be powered up.Even
if it is from the same source. Again, it is a matter of power sequencing.
All the rails must come up and power down in a particular sequence. Violate
that sequence, then you are asking for trouble.

Power your circuit off of the VDD_3V3B rail or use the VDD_3V3 rail to
enable the power on any external circuitry that connects to a pin on the
processor.

Gerald

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 2:18 AM, <yoyovaug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alright, I know that there are a lot of discussions on here about this
> topic, and I have read through them, but I am still a bit confused about
> this line in the manual:
> NOTE: DO NOT APPLY VOLTAGE TO ANY I/O PIN WHEN POWER IS NOT SUPPLIED TO
> THE BOARD. IT WILL DAMAGE THE PROCESSOR AND VOID THE WARRANTY.
> NO PINS ARE TO BE DRIVEN UNTIL AFTER THE SYS_RESET LINE GOES HIGH.
>
> I am working on a project that will involve me using multiple sensors with
> the BBB that are powered from another source. One of those sensors is a GPS
> that spits out data as long as it is powered, but the others only send data
> after they have received a request. Here are my questions:
>
> 1. Based on that statement, it is my understanding that if the GPS I'm
> using is powered and the BBB is not, then the BBB will be damaged. Is this
> accurate?
> 2. What if the board and all the sensors are powered from the same source
> controlled by a single switch? Will this damage the board when I flip on
> the switch?
> 3. What if I power all the sensors from the board itself so that it is
> impossible for them to receive power before the board does? Will this
> damage the board?

Gerald

ger...@beagleboard.org
http://beagleboard.org/