the following command line does indeed instantiate the 24c256 eeprom
special file.

root@beaglebone:~# echo 24c256 0x50 > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/i2c-1/new_device

While using this definition to write to a 24c01 did seem to work, it seems
that once I wrote past the last byte it started over writing the contents
at the beginning again (No errors reported). Defining a new device as a
24C01 gets everything aligned size wise.

Anyways, the click boards sound like a fun effort. I'm going to start with
their MPU 9DOF IMU board. Bosch has a device- a BNO0055 that implements
euler angles or quarternions. It would be nice to implement that as well
otherwise I'll have to do that on the ARM FP. Hope it can keep up.

Thanks for your help Harvey!

Best,
Mike