I know there are several threads regarding wifi but many of these are
outdated so thought I'd start a new thread, asking if anyone has been
successful adding USB WiFi to debian 3.8.13-boneX where they are able to
connect to existing access points AND configure the wifi to act as an
access point (master mode) using hostapd.

If you have been successful with both modes, I'd really appreciate you
sharing which USB adapter you used and specifically the chipset.

To date I have been using the RT5370 chipset with very reliable
communications in both client (managed) and ap (master) mode - my issue is
supply of these USB devices and I am looking for backup solutions.

If we can collect sufficient info I will update wiki with this info to
assist other users.

Thanks
Colin