with the default image ( *bone47 ) on a Rev C BBB, the second stage file is
/boot/uboot/uEnv.txt. On the eMMC.

If you're booting from an sdcard. Again like mentioned in my first post -
It depends on which image you're using. WIth single or dual partitions.

Note for the others out there .... This will *NOT* work with Jessie images.
Jessie requires sysv installed via APT, and removal of systemd via APT( or
dpkg ) as well.