Andrew,

So this is word of mouth from these very forums perhaps a couple years ago
but I do recall someone ( as in someone qualified to know - don't remember
exactly who ) saying that technically, GPIO's can be toggled on/off at
100-200 Mhz - Using a PRU.

Without using the PRU's . . . well the link you posted a link to in your
other post was featured on HaD months ago, and is still the highest rate
I've seen to date. Frankly I do not think this is a hardware limitation so
much as an OS or software limitation. So no way really to generically
document that in the hardware specs.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the AM335x processors are generic
purpose processors, where many / all M0, M0+, M3/M4 are more specific
purpose. Geared towards doing a few things very well, and fast.

Anyway, if you need more speed, perhaps an RTOS or even just tightening up
the Linux "message pump" ( e.g. RT kernel ) might prove helpful ?