On 10 September 2015 at 19:53, William Hermans <yyrk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Probably what should be done first, is check device manager to make sure the
> device is actually setup properly. I've had Windows change setting on me
> under device properties at least once. For unknown reasons.
>
> By the way, the prolific pl2303hx cables that cost like 1/10th the price of
> an FTDI work fine too . . . paid like $2.34 with free shipping.

Hi Williams,

The Device Manager was showing everythin normal, for example when I
plugged the cable a COM port appeared, and when I removed it the COM
port disappeared.

Thanks for the Prolific suggestion.

----

Anyway the problem has been solved. I arrived at work on Friday
morning and the FTDI cable was working properly, while it was not
working the evening before. What happened in between? I put the
computer (Dell Optiplex) in hibernation for the night. I suppose that
because that causes power to be cut-off that fixed the issue (while
rebooting a few times had not fixed it). But something else fixed the
problem as I hibernate the computer every evening. My guess is that
uninstalling the FTDI driver did it (plain re-installing did not fix
it).

As I said before the FTDI driver state was not completely bad because
it worked with BBW on the same computer, the problem was only with BBB
with the FTDI cable.