Well, once you have a decent amount of programming experience, avoiding the
tutorials / howto's etc won't matter so much. Because you'll know. Also
with that in mind, maybe you'll even think about some things differently.
That is fine too. Get some experience, and then choose your own path :)

*I can SEE that drive!! :-)*

Yeah well there are others here more talented and driven than me ;)