In my case, I'm going to bitbang the I2C to work with the ad7997 to sample
8 analog input. I don't have the choice the 8 input of the processor is
already used for something else.

This will not be that difficult because the code to bitbang the I2C is
available there :
https://github.com/Rose-Hulman-ROBO4xx/1314-BeagleBone-Quadcopter/blob/master_rev2/code/ControlAlgorithm/quadcopter_apps/imu/imu.p

My only problem is that for the moment the pru is not working with the
kernel 4.1 . I will have to test that on the kernel 3.8 :( .

Micka,