Chris,

This is a custom overlay that I created based on other overlays.  I have
not tested this *exact* overlay, since it is extracted from the larger
overlay that matches my additional hardware (about 20 discrete inputs and 2
quadrature encoders).  In the end, I think the standard overlays work, but
the difficulty is how different the Linux 4.1 kernel is from 3.8 with
regard to the bone manager. I'm running Ubuntu Linux on my beaglegone:

ubuntu@arm:~$ uname -a
Linux arm 4.1.6-ti-r15 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Sep 11 02:38:50 UTC 2015 armv7l
armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

When I started adding support for the eqep peripherals for the quadrature
encoders, I did run into hardware conflicts where my pin muxing was
failing, and "dmesg | tail" was telling me all along that my overlays were
not loading (and what the conflicts were).  As an embedded software
engineer, I understand pin muxing and SOC peripherals, but dealing with the
idiosyncrasies of embedded Linux is where I find it difficult.  The trick
is to check that what you are telling the system in your overlay is
actually happening, and this where checking the 'slots', 'pins', and
'dmesg' is really helpful.

When I get a spare moment, I'll isolate the PWM portion of the overlay and
complete end-to-end test and post the results.