How can I connect my custom app running on an iPhone or Android device to a
BeagleBoard / BeagleBone via WiFi *without using a Wireless Access Point (
WAP ).*?

I have a WiFi OBD2 vehicle diagnostics plug that can connect to my iPhone
without a Wireless Access Point ( WAP ).

I believe this worked by appearing as a "My OBD2" WAP in the iPhone WiFi
Settings.

Does anyone have any ideas how this can be done on the BeagleBoard?  By
making the WiFi adapter appear as a WAP or other method?

Thanks in advance,

-Ed