I have an old 4 GB SD card which has Ubuntu 11 on it.  I have two 8 GB SD
cards to play around with.  I'm not willing to overwrite the 4G card.
I've tried all kinds of permutations of installation instructions, none
have worked.  I've used RCN's netinstall, his "regular" (non-net) install
script, and I've tried using dd to write an image directly on the card.  I
get one of two results:  A card that does almost nothing on boot (it prints
the characters "60" to the screen), or a card that starts to boot, but
fails when it can't find or write certain things, dropping me into that
tiny "debugging" shell.

I *have* been able to create a card that boots Angstrom.  But opkg, the
package manager, looks for packages to a URL that does not exist.
 Evidently, the URL is coded into opkg somewhere, and I haven't found a way
to change it.  BTW, if there are better Angstrom docs than the thin pdf
with basic info, please let me know where I can find it.

I'd prefer Ubuntu or Debian over Angstrom because I'm more familiar with
it,  but I'm willing to give Angstrom a try if I can get opkg working.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong, or point me to reliable
instructions?  I know the info I've given is sparse, but I've tried about
15 different ways to do this, and I  don't remember what went wrong in each
case.

   TIA ...