On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 6:33 PM,  <kyl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been working the BBB Rev B and C for over a year, and I've been using
> the Debian images provided by eLinux and Beagleboard, available from -
>
> http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Debian_Releases
>
> and http://beagleboard.org/latest-images
>
> In the most recent builds from 2015-11-03, I've been having a lot of trouble
> with missing system tools and packages.
> Some examples include -

Please include the file name, there's dozen images...

> - wrong date and time set due to ntp service not being installed, installing
> ntp resolves this issue

wheezy: ntpdate
jessie: systemd-timesync

> - inability to connect using supported wifi adapter due to missing
> wireless-tools package

your using the "console" image...

> - missing DNS support which causes apt-get to fail as it is unable to
> correctly resolve the IP addresses for the rcn.ee repos included in the
> builds

okay, this is od..

> - missing /sbin directory in PATH, including missing ifconfig command,
> adding /sbin to path resolves these issues

yeap, this is the "console" image, can't fix this as patch isn't installed..

> Did I miss some announcement or release notes about these releases that says
> they are lighter than previous builds?
>
> Why didn't I have most of these issues with previous builds?
> IIRC, all the builds I used before included ntp, /sbin in the PATH, and DNS
> support, and wireless worked OOTB (after editing /etc/network/interfaces)

Based on that, it sounds like your using the "console" over the
"lxde/lxqt" image.  The goal with the "console" image was to be as
small but yet "flash" the eMMC..  Not everyone likes to "apt-get
remove xyz" instead they want something very small, and wireless tools
are not on that requirement list..

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/