On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 10:25 PM, Josh Datko <jbda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-12-02 at 19:41 -0600, Robert Nelson wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 7:24 PM, Josh Datko <jbda...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> #Regenerate ssh host keys
>> if [ -f /etc/ssh/ssh.regenerate ] ; then
>>     rm -rf /etc/ssh/ssh_host_* || true
>>     dpkg-reconfigure openssh-server
>>     sync
>>     if [ -s /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key.pub ] ; then
>>         rm -f /etc/ssh/ssh.regenerate || true
>>         sync
>>     fi
>>     if [ -f /etc/init.d/ssh ] ; then
>>         /etc/init.d/ssh restart
>>     fi
>> fi
>>
>> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/omap-image-builder/blob/master/target/init_scripts/generic-debian.sh#L41-L53
>>

> So, it's a bit late, and I'm a bit grogy but I think this is where the
> issue might be. It's not good enough just to call regenerate if the
> entropy pool isn't properly seeded, otherwise the key generated will be
> predictable.
>
> And while the hwrng is enable I don't think it actively contributes to
> the kernel entropy pool. I *thought* that is where there is the user
> space rngd daemon, but again... tired...
>
> The issue is the creation of /var/lib/systemd/random-seed, which
> could/should be done by dd'ing from /dev/hwrng to this file. If software
> creates this, then it will be predictable.

and i'm not an expert either, so with 4.1.13-ti-r34:

debian@test-bbb-3:~$ uname -r
4.1.13-ti-r34
debian@test-bbb-3:~$ journalctl | grep entropy
Dec 02 04:15:42 test-bbb-3 kernel: random: systemd-udevd urandom read
with 10 bits of entropy available

That's before the init script runs...

>> So ignoring the root login over 22 with no password...  or
>> nodejs/bonescript/etc..  At least the key is safe. ;)
>
> touche, we are plugging a leak while water is pouring over our heads :)
> I still advocate removing the the no password root login thing.

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/