I'm trying to record a USB 1080p 30fps USB webcam but I can't get much over
10fps at 1080p or 720p. The resolution change from 1920x1080 to 1280x720
does not seem to effect the fps at all.

I've tried 2 cameras, a generic winbook 1080p webcam and a very nice
Logitech c930e. I am using MJPEG compression. Both work at 30fps in Ubuntu
14.04 with cheese and avconv (libav-tools).

On the BBB I ran top and iotop and they indicated the CPU never got above
10% and the bandwidth writing to disk was <4,000KBps. I got the same low
fps when running on the debian 7.5 (2015-03-01) and 7.9 (2015-11-12)
releases.  I couldn't get 8.2 (2015-11-12) to boot but I'll rewrite the SD
card and try again if someone thinks it might help.

The kicker is the Logitech c930e worked at 1080p@30fps on the RaspberryPi2,
but the cheap generic camera would only run at 1080p@10fps on the RPi2.

Should I be building the UVC drivers from the latest source or something
like that? Is there a newer Kernel I should be using? Am I hitting some
kind of USB bottleneck?