So with today's upload:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#2015-12-07

We have something new, inspirated by Stephan Klatt (1), we no longer
ship a fat partition for "any" iamges...

The fat/documentation/drivers partition is now an apt-get package:
doc-beaglebone-getting-started

Which get's uncompressed and symlinked to:

/var/local/usb_mass_storage.img

This gives us another (96Mb - 40Mb = 56Mb) of extra space on the final sdcard's.

If your building a custom documentation image, look at the script in
the "beaglebone-getting-started" (2)

~/beaglebone-getting-started$ sudo ./scripts/generate_img.sh

beaglebone-getting-started-2015-12-04.img.xz

1:
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/commit/fc39a484648c58e02a4b65063c6ae7901e58aac1
2:
https://github.com/beagleboard/beaglebone-getting-started/blob/master/scripts/generate_img.sh

and finally a couple questions for the commuinty..

#1: should we mark this as "ro"/"cdrom", as right now it's loaded via:

modprobe g_multi file=${usb_image_file} cdrom=0 ro=0 stall=0
removable=1 nofua=1 ${g_network} || true

and yes, you can add/remove files from the image from your
linux/windows/mac system.

For new users, they might get confused on how to access their copied
"file", so if we mark that as 'ro' they won't be able to do that..

Thoughts?

#2: Possible Upgrade problems, from the log it followed the symlink,
so this might not be an issue..

debian@beaglebone:~$ journalctl | grep img
Dec 08 19:52:28 beaglebone kernel: LUN: removable file:
/var/cache/doc-beaglebone-getting-started/beaglebone-getting-started-2015-12-04.img

in the package i'm doing,

ln -sf /var/cache/${package}/beaglebone-getting-started-${core_version}.img
/var/local/usb_mass_storage.img

So the symlink should point to the 'updated' *.img, should we "keep"
the old file, till a reboot.. I'd like to not rmmod g_multi as the
user might be logged in via serial/g_ether and bam, there's goes the
connection..

Thoughts?

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/