Thanks for the reply. In the link that you sent me
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#2015-11-03 Is the
procedure as listed in section 3.2 (i.e.flash the eMMC) all that is
required to update my BB image or is there more to it ? I am very new at
this and I am trying to decipher all that is relevant in getting the
following command to work ...

$ sudo sh -c "echo BB-SPIDEV1 > $SLOTS

Regards,

Dean