William, the link you recommended uses /etc/network/interfaces for the
setup; doesn't that require having NetworkManager enabled whereas I think
Jessie is currently using connman and comes without NetworkManager
installed? (this is a question, not a statement) Felipe, which network
manager are you using? Finally, I thought that "metrics" was built into the
kernel? I've seen that the kernel (or something else I am unaware of) is
doing a lot of configuration especially wrt to usb0 and sometimes assigning
IP addresses and then redirecting them via 127.0.0.1 which effectively
sends them to nowhere? For example (third line below left over after hand
configuring using "ip" - I could get rid of it, but it doesn't do any harm;
I would like to understand the process causing it; I've also seen a lot of
re-directed routing coming from outside the router? especially when using
usb0?)

> ip route show
default via 192.168.0.1 dev wlan2
192.168.0.0/24 dev wlan2  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.0.174
192.168.0.128 via 127.0.0.1 dev lo  metric 303

You may need to decide how to configure your networks and then do it by
hand using "ip" perhaps similar to the link William suggested but possibly
not using  /etc/network/interfaces unless you have decided to use
NetworkManager. I found a good link on networking (albeit a bit dated) is
http://linux-ip.net/ by Martin Brown.