Getting over my head, but did wireshark show the arp request going to the
IP address of the wlan device on the BBB? Also, check the address of the
BBB when configured for login using ip
> ip addr list dev wlan2   #(you are probably wlan0 or wlan1)
3: wlan2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP
group default qlen 1000
    link/ether c0:4a:00:2a:4d:01 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.0.174/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global wlan2
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

For example, you need to look at the link broadcast address and address
BROADCAST flag and address; the device should reply back with its MAC
address when it is arped on the highest broadcast address (I think); you
might be able to check this when in client mode. Next you might be able to
do a script to run at boot to check the wlan device to see how it is
configured before arping it and possibly after (using a long sleep call)?