Dean:

The best way to connect your BBB to the internet is to plug it into an
Ethernet network/DHCP-router directly.
Using the USB bridge to Ethernet inside a Windows computer can be
problematic.

So I recommend a serial cable directly into the console port and a direct
Ethernet connection.

If you need to know the ip address of the BBB, ask the router, or type
'ifconfig' into the command line on the BBB.

This assumes your router will assign an IP address via DHCP.

If you need a fixed IP address, see if your router can assign a fixed
address or lock the one it assigns.

Get this working first, before you start trying to fix the IP address in
the BBB.

--- Graham

==