I am running the Ubuntu 14.04.3 image from Dec 11, 2015, on a Beaglebone
Black, with updated packages and updated kernel. System details below. When
I insert an SD card with 2 Linux partitions (and formatted ext4
filesystems) on it after boot, it fails to be recognized.  The following
message appears in syslog:

Jan 25 11:01:52 hostname kernel: [47672.809891] mmc0: card never left busy
state
Jan 25 11:01:52 hostname kernel: [47672.814264] mmc0: error -110 whilst
initialising SD card

The odd thing is that first this is the same card onto which I wrote and
then booted the downloaded image. I later flashed the card to the eMMC. So
I can boot from the card successfully (which presumably means the kernel
supports it), but when booting into the same kernel and rootfs from the
eMMC, it's reported as failing to initialize. Also, I *can* insert the card
perfectly fine into a BBB running Debian Wheezy with kernel 3.8.13-bone79
booted from the eMMC - the kernel recognizes it, udisks-daemon fires,
partitions get mounted etc, all without any errors. So I'm rather confident
that the card is fine.

Anyone got any ideas what I might be missing?

  -hilmar

System details: starting image
bone-ubuntu-14.04.3-console-armhf-2015-12-11-2gb.img

ubuntu@hostname:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty
ubuntu@hostname:~$ uname -a
Linux hostname 4.1.15-ti-r40 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 8 09:45:11 UTC 2016
armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux