Jason,

Perhaps a Nodejs app linked in the getting started pages. That have
"button" to switch on / off desired behavior. g_ether, g_serial, etc.

Another thing I was curious about. Is why does a wireless network device
need a network manager running at all ? I don't know . . .I've always used
/ preferred wired networking.

Additionally, perhaps it is time to stop trying to automate DNS, and just
have instructions on how to manually set gateway / IP address on each
possible host system type ? This way, you manually set USB0 as 192.168.7.2,
and the host gets set to 192.168.7.1 manually by the user at setup time. Or
perhaps have a script for the 3 main OSes to set this up automatically ?
Linux and OSX should be easy, but Windows . .. no idea how this could be
done with powershell . . .

Anyway, just thinking out loud.