Seems what worked for me was to NOT hold down the boot button prior to
connecting power.  In fact, I had to plug in power, and then very quickly
(before normal boot process begins, which is indicated by flashing of the
indicator LEDs) I held down the boot button for several seconds, at which
time the LEDs all came on solid for 2-3 seconds, then turned off; at which
time I released the boot button, and the flashing process began (as
indicated by LEDs flashing, but not in the heartbeat pattern).  Hope this
helps!

-Darryl