> If you can't find one that's commercial, then you design your own if

you can do hardware.

I can't do hardware unfortunately... I reached out to the element14 design
service team to see what they can do.  Do you happen to know of anyone else
who can do custom board design?

You need to consider which pins can do what, how
> you want them buffered, whether or not they're inputs/outputs/or
> inout.  How much current you want them to drive and at what voltages.

I'll create a custom device tree overlay that sets up the configuration for
each individual pin.  I don't have that part of the project completed and
would like to decouple the pin setup from the actual board.  I'm going to
disable the eMMC and the HDMI to free up those pins while booting from and
storing data to an onboard microSD card.  Also, I'll primarily be using
relays to control anything else that gets plugged into the system.  In
essence, I'll be turning the BBB into a PLC.  The software will be written
in Python and the program will be running as a deamon with a watchdog to
make sure it's always running.

Then all you need is a breakout if you've considered all these other
> matters.

That's definitely an idea to consider.  I could make a breakout board with
46 terminal blocks in any configuration I want and have it connected with a
wiring harness... hmm. That might also be cheaper to manufacture than a
custom cape.

Thanks for the suggestion Harvey.  I appreciate the swift and detailed
response.

-Matt