> *Hi William!*
>

> *Good eyes, but I don't know if that will affect the row updates.  This
> will affect user space programs trying to write to the character device and
> introduce a delay returning from write request, but since the row updates
> themselves are happening on a separate kthread, it shouldn't be possible to
> disturb the critical timing.*
> *I think that the delay actually produced by this call will be 1 "jiffy"
> which I think is ~20ms or more, but I didn't think it mattered to make
> user-space wait this amount of time.*

Hi David,

About the only way I can think of to "accurately" test this. Would be to
write a similar LKM that toggles a single GPIO, and watch the results with
a scope or logic analyzer. So when you say ~20ms" be wary that "ms"
typically means milliseconds, which you probably meant to mean microseconds.

Again, I'm not sure of msleep() but it seems to be called every time the
driver is waiting on the buffer. And I do not know how often this method in
your  module is called, but that potential for latency from the sleep() and
the big O nested loop situation . . . is your buffer really a two
dimensional array ? I'd definitely look into changing that into possibly a
linear field that can have bit ops done on it effectively.