That answers one big question - thanks!  Then there must be something wrong
with my 'bone, because it's not removing everything now when I reflash. I
didn't have this problem through multiple installations and reinstallations
of JRiver and other similarly sized packages, so something has changed.  If
I can't figure out what it is and fix it, I'll just have to buy a new board
to use as a JRiver zone.

I got over 2 years of great fun and education from this one, and I believe
the new version has a better processor anyway - so I'll just bite the
bullet and buyr a replacement.  Any last ditch effort tips that might help
me fix this one are greatly appreciated - otherwise, I'll leave MPD on it
(since it still works) and use it as a music player on the patio. It
doesn't owe me anything, and it deserves a peaceful retirement. :)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/bca1009f-bbe2-4401-8806-19e307ae2e71%40googlegroups.com.