*Some glimmer of hope*: I was able to get my Python code running, at least
for a few seconds. I put an icon of sorts on the BBB Debian desktop; the
icon/shortcut called an sh that started my Python code using sudo python
myProg.py. But unfortunately it shut down in a few seconds and an LXDE
window showed up saying something about Shut Down or Cancel or Something
Else but the BBB shut down and I was not able to recover from the glitch. I
started from the info by Cyril Laury
at
http://askubuntu.com/questions/299052/how-to-execute-sh-script-from-a-desktop-shortcut

and hacked around to make a startup script. So it seems that my Python
program is clobbering Debian, possibly with my write to a logfile. But
that's to be determined. So hopefully I can fix the problem and then I'll
be happy with this means to start up my Python code and will happily forget
about crontab's and systemd's.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. You-all kept me going.
John

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/c1306397-dc58-4eac-838f-136493510224%40googlegroups.com.