So I'm, prepping to make my own "production" image; prior to installing a
ton of development tools, and figured I'd point a few things out. Most this
is for Robert when he gets around to worrying about all this, if it all.
But there is nothing stopping anyone else form using this information.

*Trim out uneeded cruft:*william@beaglebone:~$ sudo apt-get install ncdu
william@beaglebone:~$ cd /

william@beaglebone:/$ sudo ncdu

*. . . And then navigate around in ncdu to find uneeded large files, and
directories.A 24Megabyte file ?!*22.4MiB [##########]  libicudata.so.52.1

william@beaglebone:/$ sudo apt-get remove libicu52
. . .
After this operation, 28.9 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

william@beaglebone:/$ sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove libicu52

--- /usr/share
                        /..
   36.6MiB [##########] /locale
   15.2MiB [####      ] /doc
    7.2MiB [#         ] /man

--- /lib
                        /..
   68.4MiB [##########] /modules

--- /var/cache
                        /..
   40.5MiB [##########] /apt

A lot of cruft in these 3 locations. Much, of it can be removed, but must
be careful what you remove in /lib/modules. If you do not know what to
remove, then do not touch anything . . .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORq2SEGbr4zZ7zc8NaMs8tmDuOH4qNiW2-td1pHj%2Bf_N9w%40mail.gmail.com.