I haven’t worked on this in a while, but the circuitry I proposed was for a
voltage monitoring and safe shutdown and startup. The AM3358 already has a
watchdog timer and will reset the board if the watchdog is not serviced in a
predefined period. My proposed circuit included supercaps to power the board
during power failure so that the board can shutdown safely. You need a state
machine to deal with all the corner cases, such as
1) what happens if you have a power fail, you trigger a shutdown and then the
power is back on before the shutdown completes. In that case, you have to power
off the BBB, wait for the supercaps to charge and then reapply the power to the
BBB.
2) what happens if the power is on and the board begins to boot, but then the
power fails before the board has completed it’s bootup.

There are several more corner cases when you think through all the scenarios.

Also, you need a supercap charging circuit since supercaps are normally rated
at 2.7V so you have to put them in series but one supercap may have lower
impedance than the other so one supercap may exceed it’s max voltage and may in
fact go negative during discharge. Your charge circuit must prevent both
conditions.

You will also need a boost regulator to keep the voltage on the processor
constant as the supercaps discharge.

Lithium batteries would be easier, but then you are faced with the limited
number of charge cycles and the limit life expectancy of these batteries.

Just some ideas to think about.

Regards,
John

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/5F4B57BD-6AB4-4DFF-ACDB-66C038778EC3%40gmail.com.