only way to be sure it use the battery input on the BBB and the acpi
shutdown
http://protofusion.org/wordpress/2014/08/beaglebone-black-soft-power-off/
problem is that once shut off via a shutdown now -h something must reset
the processor
to get it to boot.
also if the power outage is extended or you unplug to set on shelf for
extended periods
the LI battery will run down fast because the pmic will continue to suck
power off the battery
the external circuit must be able to disconnect the battery if power is
removed for long periods.

other way is a read only file system with a ram overlay as has been
mentioned on the list.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/f1949535-1fa1-b35f-3058-ad7a5ce2871b%40gmail.com.