It all depends on what you are worried about.

I have several BBBs that I use as servers, and I want them to be robust.

So while working through power backup and an external hardware watchdog per
all the previous discussions, we have a thunderstorm roll through the area.

No close strikes, but the Ethernet network interface went catatonic, would
not send or receive, but didn't throw any errors.

I could not SSH into the command line.

But the local serial port/command line worked fine.  The kernel seemed to
be happily running, and not worried about anything in particular.

The system logs looked like someone had disconnected the Ethernet cable
during the storm, but the network was still physically connected, with the
RJ-45 socket lights blinking.

A power cycle reestablished everything.

So, probably some kind of transient flipped a few configuration register
bits and stopped the Ethernet interface.
No physical damage.

This kind of thing can not be unique, because I note that there are
Ethernet controlled power strips with "Auto-Ping."
Stated feature is “Auto-Ping” feature to intelligently reboot a locked-up
AP, router, VoIP phone, server, camera. or other device automatically.

Web Power Switch 7.            http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html

So either I can go buy a $115 smart AC power switch, or use an Ethernet-PIC
instead of the MSP430.

--- Graham

==

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/47e04409-af30-4c62-9b3b-445a82036380%40googlegroups.com.