> I thought of something immediately when I read your post.  There is an
> extensive article in February 2016 #262 Linux Journal which uses the BBB
> for beer brewing.  There is a temperature control requirement for the
> brewing process.

This might be a good illustration of how as similar problem is solved.
 Even if the content of the article does not apply to the smoker, you will
need to construct the BBBB (Beagle Bone Black Brewery) to complement the
output of your smoker project.

 https://lj.mybigcommerce.com/linux-journal-february-2016-262/

The article is 23 pages long and has lots of code.

Good luck with your project!
Greg

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/e8757b18-ab1a-4004-a8b8-cb684bcbca17%40googlegroups.com.