Thank you for the reply! The problem is that when I set the pin
value/direction before entering sleep mode (using /sys/class/gpio...), it
immediately returns to its initial state upon entering sleep mode. When I
wake the BBB up it will return to the value I configured, however.

Where would I set the default sleep mode config for a pin in the device
tree? Is there a spot in am335x-bone-common-pinmux.dtsi?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/cf5dece2-b611-4b4d-be4b-76d12fb93356%40googlegroups.com.