Hi,

Yesterday I was trying to use some of the analog inputs on the BBB to read
my photodiode, and instead, I think I blew up the power supply on my board.
With power applied, I get no PWR led, so I'm pretty certain it's dead.
Short of replacing the power management chip, is there anything I can
do/replace to get the board working again?

Brief Background

I hooked up the photodiode to an Arduino and was able to read 0 - 5V
easily, so I wanted to do the same on the BBB.
I read some of the materials re: AIN on the BBB, but apparently I missed
all the references to the max voltage of 1.8V!
I started by enabling the analog inputs on the BBB, and started with AIN0.

With nothing attached, I was reading about 0 - so far, so good.
Then I figured I'd try to see what a full 5.0V read out, so I plugged in
the VDD 5V to AIN0, and all the LEDs went out instantly.
Now all LEDs stay off, even the PWR LED, when power is applied.

No doubt, it was stupid, but I have a few additional takeaways -
1. Very minor references in most BBB documentation/webpages discussing
Analog Inputs and max voltages.
Coming from working with Pi's and Arduino's, it was common to have analog
inputs range from 0 to 5V, so the 1.8V was unexpected.

2.  Isn't there any protection at all from this kind of damage?  Or was the
main problem that I used the VDD 5V and fed it into the AIN0 port?
Would I have killed it if I used the VDD ADC instead of the VDD 5v or would
using the VCC ADC possibly have protected it?

3.  What is the "normal" way of using the BBB analog inputs with 5V levels?
 Is it possible - or is there where I would use a level-shifter or zener
diode?

Thanks for the any comments or additional info provided!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/3dd92ed6-0fc6-44fc-8b0f-2eca5d690390%40googlegroups.com.