I see several examples on the web on how to use the Grove-UART port for
GPIO.  They talk about modifying a line in /boot/uEnv.txt:

For example, this
page
http://www.seeedstudio.com/recipe/index.php?controller=recipe&action=show&recipe_id=362&ref=product

...states in somewhat broken English:

Then blocking “cape_enable=capemgr.enable_partno=BB-UART2” just as the
> picture below shows.
> #cape_enable=capemgr.enable_partno=BB-UART2

But looking in /boot/uEnv.txt, I'm not seeing this exact line to comment
out.  I'm running Robert Nelson's Ubuntu 16.04 image.

There are hints that a better method exists to do what I want.  References
like this one from 10 months ago:

"Using cape-universal is a better way to enable UART2 these days, rather
> than forcing it in uEnv.txt. Most of the Python libraries know how to load
> the required cape overlay to enable UART2 and this should be checked."

Can someone point me to the right place for me to understand what I need to
do?  In the end, I want to do is connect a Grove GPIO twig (such as Seeed's
chainable RGB LED) to the right-hand-side Grove port.

Thanks.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/9ac7ce03-d60b-49fe-b6b6-4f73a4c4fe77%40googlegroups.com.