There is more memory than just the 8kb instruction RAM in the PRUs.

In the examples, there is a PRU_Halt program which is as small as possible
with the Remoteproc.
When I build it, I get a firmware size of 27kb.  It works perfectly.

There is a "command file" AM335x_PRU.cmd which is used in the linking
process to allocate
the chunks of code to the correct locations in the PRU.  I'm new at this
myself, so hopefully
I have the description of what this does correct.

You need to look at your dmesg (kernel log) to get some clues as to what is
going on.
A good way is

dmesg | grep pru

This will write out any lines in the log with "pru" in them.
This will show if the firmware(s) were successfully loaded and started.

I would recommend to get the PRU_Halt example working before proceeding
further.

Greg

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/633634b1-03c2-462d-932a-e32dee439c53%40googlegroups.com.