Hey Will!!

My responses are in green

I am not clear from the guide what SPI things to install. SP0 &
SP1-01? or just one of them?
>From your comments it looks like you just need to talk out of 1 spi so my
answers are for SPI0.

Also should the optargs entry and the capemgr.enable_partno=BB-SP1-01
be present in that file, or removed?
Replace it with BB-SPI0-01

Thank you Rudy for your files. I am not sure what to do with them. Given
what I have detailed above, do I need to do anything with them?
Put BB-SPI0-01-00A0.dtbo in /lib/firmware on your BBB

  .dts files are the pre compiled device tree files (human readable form)
  You create a .dtbo file by compiling a .dts file
  .dbto are files that the BBB will use (machine readable form)

And a side-question about the slots listing at the top of this post,
number 4.. why does it say 2Gb not 4Gb? I'm pretty sure I have the
4Gb. Is it that there are 2x2?
Not sure, as far as I can tell it doesn't affect my 4G BBB in any way

Reboot your BBB and cat the slots again you should see BB-SPI0-01 loaded
root@beaglebone:/# cd /dev
root@beaglebone:/dev# ls
Check that spidev1.0 is in there

IMPORTANT!!! Make sure that the Lenovo SPI is 3.3v and not 5v. If it's 5v
you'll probably blow those pins on your BBB.

Do you have a program that can send the data out of the SPI?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAGLDO90GHOaMAfFW9zktQTnpC%3DVvNhSnjX2dN3r3-ztR8bm2tg%40mail.gmail.com.