On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Ankur Tank <artf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have BBB based custom board with 256MB RAM and 4GB eMMC running Linux
> kernel 3.12
>
> *TL;DR*: Is there a open source application which periodically reads
> unread/rarely used partition to increase data retention? OR Is there any
> kernel service which can be configure
>
> *Detailed query,*
> We have 3 sets of partition for OS(Bootloader, kernel+dtb & RFS) eMMC.
> One of them is recovery OS. Which is rarely read( none of the time
> written).
>
> Now as per eMMC manufacturerer,
> "*If a byte is not read in 5 years there is no guarantee that byte is
> valid when read after 5 years.*"
> To avoid such situation we want to have a crawler application, which would
> read all the unused/unread partition may be once in a year and increase
> data retention.
>
> I didn't find any open source application or kernel service/daemon which
> would handle that. But not sure If I am searching it correctly or not.
>
> Meanwhile If there is no solution available for this, I am planning to do
> it in following way.
>
> 1. Setup a cron job which would trigger once in a year and run a script.
> 2. Script would read all the partition using dd and return.
>
> What do you think about this approach.
> Let me know if you have any suggestion/correction/pointers for me.

debian@test-bbb-1:~$ time sudo cat /dev/mmcblk1 > /dev/null

real 1m20.209s
user 0m0.050s
sys 0m14.530s

That was for a 2GB eMMC, so double the time for a 4GB..

But in reality, with eMMC, we are still only talking with the controller,
not directly with the NAND. So even a cat won't read every 'byte' as the
controller is doing it's own thing...

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAOCHtYi7%3DKeg7Le%2Bd066OXhscNwj10Mee9-yZbXanjb%2BYZgKrQ%40mail.gmail.com.