On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 7:15 AM, Harvey White <ma...@dragonworks.info> wrote:

Oh, well, I was thinking the Epson S1D13781 chip driven in a parallel
> interface mode, 16 bit, using the external memory interface to memory
> map it.  I already wrote the code using an SPI interface, so only the
> communications needs to be changed.

In this case, any Cortex M0/M0+ or Cortex M3/M4 board should work. But
these boards:
http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/evaluation-tools/product-evaluation-tools/mcu-eval-tools/stm32-mcu-eval-tools/stm32-mcu-discovery-kits/stm32f4discovery.html
are supposed to be one of the best supported boards by the open source
community. Well, meaning excellent gcc support.

> If I said "I want to use a free compiler to generate C and C++ code
> for the Nucleo boards" and that's all I asked, someone would ask me
> what I wanted to do it for, and why I didn't use the BBB, and why I
> didn't use some other board... etc.

Ubuntu 14.04 standard package:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/devel/gcc-arm-none-eabi is the only real
tool in my mind. The trick is picking a board that is very well documented,
that is well supported by this toolchain. *That* is where you need help,
and where people like me typically get paid well to figure this out( if we
do not know already ). But knowing the gcc toolchain, as in how to setup
gcc, g++, and gdb with an IDE( if an IDE is even needed ) is the key. Then
there will be slight differences between gcc port, to gcc port.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORoViy55AZfu-TCpVDdM7_3SJ7%2Be3d6ZHkJGHXqt-DN_qg%40mail.gmail.com.