On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 5:18 AM, <niv...@gmail.com> wrote:

When I got my new bbgw I ran an internet search to find how to use the
> relay and did not find an easy answer, so here goes:
> 1. The Grove - SPDT Relay(30A) - uses +5V , so you need to solder the
> third pin of that groove connector. Disconnect it from the board, and
> connect it to the input 5v power.

It seems that your relay requires nominal 5V coil voltage and 185mA coil
current. This is far beyond what a BBB pin can provide: they put out 3.3V
and barely above 10mA. Additionally, switching the coil on and off
generates inductive spikes that are likely to damage the BBB output
circuits. You need some sort of coil driver; I suggest buying something,
e.g one of http://blog.machinekit.io/p/hardware-capes.html, or building
your own circuit like this one http://i.stack.imgur.com/OhY9d.png

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAC%3D1GgFMYszu7ETm7KWi6UvcvzRZFXE5Z2dsy3Bt2wf2tB2ROA%40mail.gmail.com.